Following the COVID-19 lockdown we have taken steps to reduce the quantity of printed material within the cottage in line with government guidance. Accordingly you can find the contents of the Information Folder, Instruction Manual Folder, Walks and Things to Do on this page. The printed folders have been removed from the cottage so we would encourage you to use these online versions during your stay, however, in case of difficulty please contact us.
The Beale Family
Health & Safety Information
Whilst we have taken reasonable steps to ensure your stay is as safe as possible we would draw your attention to the following potential hazards:
What to do in case of fire
Make sure everyone in the house knows about the fire – shout and get everyone together.
Get everyone out
Escape routes to the garden are available via:
As you escape, remember:
When you can’t get out via the escape route
If your escape route is blocked:
If you can’t get out, get everyone into one room:
Call 999 - The nearest public phone box (red) is next door – 50 yards towards Masham
Once you’re out and safe, phone the emergency services - 999 calls are free.
When you speak to the operator:
Alert any neighbouring properties.
Don’t go back in
You should find somewhere safe to wait near the building. If there's someone still inside, wait for the fire and rescue service to arrive. You can tell them about the person and they will be able to find them quicker than you.
If you go back into the building, you will slow down the firefighters' efforts to rescue anyone else missing - and put your own life in danger.
How to operate the open fire
Key safety considerations
Although the fire is confined to a fireplace, it still can present a fire hazard. Some key safety considerations:
Making a fire
Useful Information About the Property
Alarm – There is no burglar alarm in the cottage.
Breakages – please report all damage and breakages.
Cash Machines – the nearest cash machines are as follows:
Cooking – an electric hob, oven and microwave are located in the kitchen. The hob has an extractor fan above (please use the extractor fan when using the hob for cooking). To operate the microware press “micro power” for high, medium or low power followed by the heating time and then press “start”. Full user instructions can be found in the Instruction Manual Folder below.
Kitchen under cupboard lighting - the switch is on the wall to the left of the hob.
Clothes Washer / Dryer Machine – wash and drying programmes are described on the front and full user instructions can be found in Instruction Manual Folder below.
Clothes Drying – in addition to the washer / dryer machine there is a washing line in the rear garden and a portable clothes airer is located in the garage. Clothes pegs are in the cupboard beneath the kitchen sink.
Departure – we would appreciate it if you could leave the cottage by 10:00 on the day of departure. We would also be grateful if you could leave the cottage in a tidy condition and place all waste in the black dustbin or recycling bin as appropriate.
Dining Table – Table mats and coasters are contained in the drawer in the table.
Electricity – the electricity outlets in the cottage are UK 3-pin 240v (50Hz), and the consumer unit is located in the lounge. In case of emergency there is a torch located in the kitchen cupboard under the sink. There is a shaver unit in the bathroom.
Entertainment – CD, radio, IPod dock, TV, Freesat, and DVD player are located in the lounge.
Fridge / Freezer – the fridge / freezer is located in the kitchen.
Garage – the garage is accessed from the dining room. The following amenities are located in the garage:
Heating – the storage heaters are usually turned off during the summer months. If you would like them turned on or adjusting please ask. A portable radiator is available which is located in the garage. An open fire is also available in the lounge. There is a heated towel rail in the bathroom controlled automatically.
Hot Water / Shower– hot water is heated via an immersion heater which is on an automatic timer. The control panel is the HORSTMANN box located near the bottom of the stairs. If additional hot water is required please press the “1Hour” boost button.
Ironing – the iron is located in the cupboard under the sink and the ironing board is located in the garage.
Outside Light – the switch for the outside floodlight on the side of the porch is the right hand switch in the lounge next to the porch door. Please leave this switch turned on. The outside floodlight is on a sensor which should turn on/off automatically.
Open Fire – metal ash bucket, firelighters, kindling, newspapers and coal are located in the garage. User instructions are available in this folder.
Refuse – the dustbin for non-recyclable waste is located in the garage.
Recycling – the recycling box is located in the garage. There is a leaflet in the garage which identifies what materials are accepted. Please place all black box or blue bag items in the recycling box.
Supermarkets – the nearest supermarket is in Masham (Coop). Other larger supermarkets are available in the surrounding area as follows:
Telephone – the nearest public payphone is located next to the adjoining cottage (approximately 50 yards towards Masham).
Water – in an emergency the water stop tap is located in the garage next to the rear door.
WiFi – Wifi is available within the cottage and is provided on a fair usage basis to allow guests to check emails and normal internet browsing. (Please note it is not suitable for extensive downloading or streaming of video type services).
By connecting to the guest WiFi you agree that you will not use the premises broadband facilities for unlawful purposes. Please note that web-filtering may be in operation on this router, however, like all web-filtering tools it isn't perfect. Therefore we would recommend that you monitor any websites that your children may visit and exercise caution when visiting sites requesting personal or financial information.
Connection details are located in the cottage.
Guidance on the use of the Bathroom
The bathroom has recently been re-fitted to a high standard.
If any of the fittings are unfamiliar the following guidance may be helpful.
1. The lights and fan are operated on a sensor and will come on when entering the bathroom (except in bright daylight). If the light goes out when there is no movement while someone is in the bathroom please move to reactivate the light. When leaving the bathroom please close the door and the lights will automatically turn off after a short period of time. Please note that the fan is both timer and humidity controlled, so when higher humidity is detected it may run for longer than normal. There should be no need to adjust the switches which are located next to the heater in the back bedroom. To increase ventilation please open the skylight using the long pole located in the bathroom.
2. The towel rail is timer and temperature controlled automatically and the controller behind the bathroom door should not be changed. Please do not turn off the switch serving the bathroom which is located in the back bedroom as it resets the timer control.
3. The shower controls are as follows: - left side of the horizontal bar operates the fixed head or moveable head. The right hand side controls the temperature. To increase the temperature beyond the recommended 38degrees press the button and turn to the required level. Please supervise any children using the shower or bath to keep the water temperature at a suitable level.
4. The bath tap and filler spout are fixed to the wall - lift the lever on the tap to turn the water on and move it left or right to adjust the temperature. Do not get in the bath when empty. To avoid any instability always fill the bath first. Please do not hang onto the filler spout when getting in or out of the bath, as any damage could lead to a major water leak.
5. Toilet - Large push button gives a long flush and the small one a short flush.
6. The LED Mirror is not controlled by the sensor - The light is operated by passing your hand under the right hand side of the mirror, close to it. The demister switch is on the right of the mirror and the shaver/electric tooth brush socket is under a small flap on the left side of the mirror. Please turn off the mirror when not in use.
7. Hot water is provided by electric immersion heater and tank located in the loft which operates at various points throughout the day and night. There should be plenty of hot water, however, if for any reason it runs out please press the 1 hour boost button on the control panel located at the bottom of the stairs.
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY THE WATER STOP VALVE IS LOCATED IN THE GARAGE NEXT TO THE REAR DOOR AND TAP.
If you have any problems please contact the owner for advice.
Hospital, Doctor, Dentist & Vet Contact Details
Instruction Manual Folder
Please note that the TV signal is supplied by satellite (FreeSat), and not the TV's internal tuner (FreeView). The TV also has an internal DVD player, located on the right hand side of the TV. To use the TV please follow the instructions below:
To watch TV:
1. Please turn on the FreeSat box first (the unit on the shelf next to the TV).
2. Please turn on the TV (the switch is at the bottom right hand side).
3. The TV should automatically select the FreeSat signal on the SCART input. If not use the Source button on the TV remote to select the SCART input.
To watch a DVD:
1. If you turn off the Freesat box the TV should automatically select the DVD input. If not use the Source button on the TV remote to select the DVD input.
TV Manual - hardcopy available to borrow on request
The following are a selection of walks in the local area:
Places to Visit
Whilst we have temporarily removed the leaflets from the cottage we have provided links to a selection of places to visit below:. Please check the website before visiting any of the places featured as many are operating different opening times and booking systems to control visitor numbers during the COVID-19 restrictions: